Bhaktapur-based Kathmandu Cancer Center has launched surgery service for its patients.The KCC successfully operated on a patient with thyroid cancer for the first time on Tuesday. The 48-year-old patient underwent surgery at the hospital conducted by a team of surgeons led by Dr Rajendra Yogal.
To help those affected by cancer diagnosis, the hospital now has set up a cancer surgery unit and will now offer surgery services for all types of cancer.
Cancer Surgery Units
- Breast Surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Head- Neck & Thyroid surgery
- Gynae-Oncology Surgery
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
The hospital has also introduced new services of Modular Operation Theaters, Intensive care unit (ICU with Ventilators), Post-Operative Care, among others. Team of anesthesia & Critical care experts will be the backbone for surgical and ICU care .
According to Dr Deep Lamichhane, consultant surgical oncologist at KCC, his team will provide all types of cancer surgery including
- Upper gastrointestinal cancer like esophagectomy and gastrectomy- with the incorporation of neo-adjuvant therapy like chemotherapy and radiotherapy when required
- Colon cancer surgery
- Rectal cancer- organ preservation and incorporation of neo-adjuvant chemo-radiotherapy
- Hepato-biliary cancers
- Pancreatic cancers
- Retroperitoneal tumors
- Palliative procedures for feeding, relieve of obstruction, bleeding, jaundice
- Surgery for recurrent cancers
- Cytoreductive surgery for peritoneal cancers secondary to other cancers like colorectal, ovary, appendix etc.